Here at Harman we are privileged to have such a great team of people working for our clients. Once a month we will be highlighting one of our team members so that you can get to know them a little bit better.
This month the spotlight falls on our Design-Build Manager – Jim Ellinger.
Jim joined Harman in 1988. His past experience working for a civil engineer and a pre-cast factory gave him the groundwork and tools for working with Harman as a design-build manger.
Here are a couple questions we asked Jim about his own experience at Harman and what he believes makes Harman a great place to work and a great company to do business with:
- I have been with Harman for 27 years so it’s a little hard to pinpoint just one project. However, a couple of key projects stick out in my mind: Rockingham Eye Associates (My very first project), Valley Pediatrics in Verona, the churches we have worked with over the years and the industrial project with Merck. Every one of these projects have had something unique about them and it has been exciting to work with the clients and see their dreams become reality through our work.
- I appreciate the effort that each team member puts into each project that we do. As a design-build team we work hard to listen to our clients and really become the client. When we understand at that level, it makes bringing a project together successful. While we may work as individual teams – from sales, to design-build, to estimating, to the crews on the ground – working together we can accomplish the goals of our clients.
- I also appreciate the strong work ethic our teams display and the Christian atmosphere here at Harman. No matter how stressful the job may get we know we can rely on our team members to support us and even pray with us if we have that need.
- My wife and I love to camp. We love to take the weekend, load up our two rescue dogs and head out. We spend time walking and just sharing life together. Other than camping, anyone that knows me knows that I love to bowl. I’ve been bowling for 46 years, been all over the US for tournaments – sometimes on a team but also as an individual competitor on the Amateur Bowling Circuit. My dad introduced me to the game at 16 and I’ve been bowling ever since. I have one friend who has been bowling with me for 40 years, same day, same time every week. I love to bowl.
- Before I came to Harman I went to work for a Civil Engineer. It was my first job out of college. I didn’t know anything about civil engineering, but over the course of my 10 years there I learned a wealth of knowledge that has contributed to my success at Harman as a design-build manager. I also spent 1 1/2 years working at a pre-cast factory in Waynesboro prior to Harman. Both jobs helped to build my skills, especially in reading site plans, which is a critical part of my job today.
To read Jim’s full bio or to contact him – Click Here.